Offered By: The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology via Coursera
Duration: 5 weeks long
Protecting Business Innovations via Patent
This course assumes no prior knowledge in law, business or engineering. However, students with backgrounds in all three areas will find useful concepts or ideas in the course on how to protect business innovations using patents. The approach taken in this course is practical and commercial rather than theoretical. A combination of lectures and case studies help to illustrate the concepts and make the course more interesting.
After completing this course, students should be able to understand how patents are issued and protect innovations, including: What is a patent? What do they protect? How do we get a patent? Where are patents valid? How much do they cost?
In addition to basic concepts the course also deals with advanced topics such as: software patents, business process patents, patenting life, patent trolls and multiple case examples of large and small companies using patents and patent lawsuits.
We also expect you to have fun in this course. So go forth and enjoy!
Other courses in the Protecting Business Innovations series:
1. Copyright: https://www.coursera.org/learn/protect-business-innovations-copyright
2. Trademark: https://www.coursera.org/learn/protect-business-innovations-trademark
3. Patent: https://www.coursera.org/learn/protect-business-innovations-patent 4. Strategy: https://www.coursera.org/learn/protect-business-innovations-strategy
- Introduction to Patents
- Welcome to Protecting Business Innovations via Patents! Why are patents so important? You will learn about the basics of patents and how they are useful in protecting innovation as well as some of the limitations and costs of patents. This first module allows you to “survey the buffet”. Before you start your survey of Patents, take some time to review the assignments, grading and general course guidelines for this course. Also, don’t forget to introduce yourself and say hello to your fellow learners.
- PROCESS OF GETTING A PATENT
- This week we will look at the process of getting a patent in terms of the time, cost and effort required for each step of the patenting process. Here’s where you plan your assault on the buffet.
- UTILITY PATENT REQUIREMENTS
- We get down to the details on what is needed to submit a formal patent application including providing evidence regarding novelty, utility and non-obviousness. Let’s dig in to the main meal.
- ADVANCED PATENT TOPICS
- You left room for dessert right? In this week we learn about patent trolls, software patents, business process patents, patenting life and case examples of large and small companies using and going to court over patents.
- Putting your knowledge to work
- Instead of an exam, we are going to have you apply your newfound knowledge to evaluate an actual patent case that went to court. All of the knowledge gained and discussions from Weeks 1-4 will help you
Theodore Henry King CLARK